Colenso is situated in the heart of the Tugela Industrial Basin and right on the banks of the mighty Tugela River. It is about 180 km from Durban on the road to Ladysmith and is famous for its many war graves indicating that this area was once the scenes of battles between the Boers and the British.
In 1908 Hazrath Soofie Saheb RA bought a piece of land in this little town from Ameeroodeen and Goolam Saheb and erected a Musjid which was also used as a Madressa by the very few Muslim families that lived here and in the district around Colenso. In the confines of the Musjid at the back, is a grave which is believed to be that of one of the two Muslim brothers who sold the land to Hazrath Soofie Saheb RA.
Trustees that administered this Khanqah were :-
1908-1911 Founder, Hazrath Soofie Saheb RA
1911-1955 Hazrath Shah Mohamed Ibrahim Soofie RA
1911-1947 Hazrath Shah Abdul Aziz Soofie RA as deputy
1947-1978 Hazrath Shah Goolam Mohamed Soofie Sani RA
1978-1985 Hazrath Shah Mohamed Saeid Soofie
1995 Imam Jaliel Soofie, the youngest son of Hazrath Shah Noor Mohamed Soofie RA, was elected Trustee